23 June, 2006

Tactical Idiocy

If this is true then it's tactical idiocy of the highest order.

Carrick starting would be a good thing - we need a midfielder who can play the short passes rather than trying the spectacular all the time.

But Hargreaves at right-back? He's not proven himself there at all, unlike Carragher. And he brings no attacking options, just like Carragher. I don't know enough about Ecuador but if their left-sided attack is weak then I would play Beckham there with Lennon in front. Give their left-back something to think about. If their left-sided attack is strong then play Carragher. Give their left winger something to think about.

And Rooney on his own up-front? If you are playing one up you have to have someone who can hold the ball up. Can play with his back to goal. Can play the flick-on or knock-down to bring the attacking midfielders into the game. Can deal with a hopeful punt upfield. Not a deep lying striker with the flair for the spectacular. Bloody hell, I'm hoping for Crouchio.

Nope, it's quite rare for me to say this (I think the 4-5-1 is an excellent formation, especially at the highest levels), but given the personnel we have available, it has to be two up-front with four in a midfield that has real width.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rooney played very well for quite a run of games as an out and out lone striker for Man U when Van Nistles was injured, so I don't think that it is that much of a stretch

Joe Williams said...

I'm wary about one up front, especially when the one is a crock.

As for Hargreaves... dear God... If I remember rightly the Ecuador left wing play is one of their strengths.

I know it's going to be a disaster but I'm predicting 1-1 and England win on penalties.

Archive

eXTReMe Tracker