16 May, 2007

Stuart Pearce

Not a surprise that he was sacked, but I actually think he did OK at City - in fact he has done as well as many of their other managers. When he was appointed, I did think it was a little too soon, and many of the grumblings suggest that his man-management may have been wanting - although I wouldn't fancy having to manage Joey Barton. I suppose it is difficult to bridge the gap between being one of the players to being a manager.

Martyn Lewis, Money Saving Expert, has this to say, and I was pleased to see that my feelings were being echoed by a City fan:

A moment’s pause for Stuart Pearce Tuesday May 15th, 2007

A bit off my usual topic, but I thought I’d quickly blog on Stuart Pearce. As a Manchester City supporter (born within a couple of miles from Maine Road) I’ve mixed feelings. I hope we’re not throwing the baby out with the bath water (as football, cliché’s are allowed.). It does remind me somewhat of when Peter Reid was sacked when City were riding high in the top half of the Premiership - soon after we were in Division 2. I hope history won’t repeat itself.

Yet an injection of cash is needed, and Pearce’s departure seems to have hastened that. City’s huge debts have crippled its ability in the transfer market for years, and the hope is that’ll now change (I’m resisting the temptation to start talking about personal debt in relation). So having paused for Pearce, hopefully it’s onwards and upwards.

Just my final thoughts - Stuart has handled himself with great dignity throughout his career, even when he has lost his job. He is still a hero, still a legend (the BBC compiled this photo gallery), and I wish him all the best.

No comments:

Archive

eXTReMe Tracker